Monday, September 8, 2014

"A Mission is Not A Sacrifice"

Hurray! I have an hour and a half today so I'll get to share lots :))))
welcome to the week of Sister Peavler.....

1.) Fruit!! yes, Philippines has the best fruit. Look up pictures on google! They are so crazy looking!!! and so superbly delicious! and they grow on trees right in front of you! haha the little things that amuse you as a missionary!

2.) Sister FEVER! haha no one here can say peavler, its quite amusing. In my branch I'm know as Sister Fever. and every time we meet someone new they stare at my name tag then I sound it out with them haha

3.) Zone meeting! I love my zone! We get together about once a week for a meeting or something else. The best part is that sister Mcgoon (my roomie from mtc) is in my zone! (shes one of the sisters from figi).  anyways the meeting this week was great. We learned a lot! One thing I want to share about is the BOOK OF MORMON. It's in all caps because there is an epidemic going around....its called neglecting of the book of Mormon! and yes, i was guilty of it before I came here! but now, i know my testimony is nothing without it! If we want to have a true,converted testimony, we have to consistently search ponder and pray about it! It's not something you  cant do it half hearted! In the mission you realize how much you need the Lord, and the best way besides prayer ,to communicate with Him is through the book of Mormon!! I really know this to be true. I'm not just saying it because I'm a missionary now:) our most powerful tools as a missionary are the spirit and the Book of Mormon. So I ask you to think and remember what you have. Read the introduction! It's not just a book! It contains the fullness of the everlasting gospel! Everything we need to know (how to have happiness now and forever, how to return to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and more!) are all in the book of Mormon! I didn't realize what we have, but now i do! 

4.) My neighborhood! I love my neighborhood. The people are so friendly! and hard working! they're up cleaning at like 5:30every morning! (I know that because today I woke up at 5:30!) Anyways there is this little boy and he always says good morning! no matter what time of day it is! When we arrive home around 8 at night he says good morning! haha! Our neighbor is a less active. We've actually been teaching him! His name is brother den den! Every night his dog guards our house! and he makes us Filipino food a lot! Anyways he was a strong member. still is, but he doesn't go to church. There are several less actives in my area, who are great members but they will not go to church, so they do not progress. Anyways, last night we taught brother den den. I truly felt my Savior's love for him. I know how Heavenly Father feels when we do not live up to our potential. That's how i feel with brother den den! I see  him as a future leader in the church!! but sometimes we get in the way of ourselves progressing. It's sad, but hopefully will improve! I want to see him in a white shirt at church before I leave this area!!!

5.) Brother Dongsky! I love saying his name! Anyways that's not the highlight..haha. So he was getting ready for a baptism....but not for the right reasons..anyways when my companion and I got here, we told him he needed to do it for himself. Well he didn't come to church, and didn't have interest in teaching him anymore. BUT THEN yesterday he showed up to church! and he brought two of our other investigators with him! It was a huge surprise! he picked up our other 2 investigators to go to church , Jeffery and Bobbie who are brothers. 14 and 9ish.... anyways he has changed, we don't know how yet cuz we haven't met with him yet. but his whole demeanor has changed! and we are so excited! 

6.) Filipinos...yes all of you have heard of the kindness of Filipinos....well i can tell you its sure true! They are so humble! So kind! People rarely ever turn us away! Yes, people still stare at me wherever I go because I'm white and "tall" haha. Me and my companion laugh because they say "wash your name?" instead of "what's your name" because the accent. I just think "I can't wash my name! They also say "hi mom!" but they mean "hi ma'm!" and i just think I'm not your mom! It's funny though! 

7.) Miracles! So many miracles are happening! People who haven't been to church in a very long time are coming! People( mostly less actives) who used to turn the missionaries away are letting us in and with open arms! Investigators are coming to Church! not all but some and we have a baptism the end of September that we did not think we would have! I'm so excited! It's is for a girl named sister cha cha! She's 15 years old and a sweetie. She never came to church because she didn't have a skirt, so I gave her mine and yesterday she was there! She is so thrilled to get baptized! We are so excited for her! Right now she lives with her brother and sister alone. Her father left their family, and their mother left somewhere recently too. They don't know when she'll be back. We are so happy she has the gospel to fill the empty holes! 

8.) A mission is not a sacrifice. I hear that sometimes. That a mission is a sacrifice, and its really not. Yes, I have stretch marks on my head and toes because you get so stretched here. I mean in every way possible. Every day there are struggles, but its still not a sacrifice. It's a blessing to go on a mission. There are hard things like i said but the hardest thing for me is not being able to share all that I want to with others. I don't really care that i dump a bucket of cold water on my head every morning for a shower, or that I don't have air conditioning, or that i eat rice every single day, or that i walk in really hot weather for 6 hours a day. Those things don't matter to me. the only thing that matters is to share the message. Its not very easy when you are called to do it in another language. The language is alright for me. It's a struggle. When I want to help people and I think of things i want to say that they may need to hear and then I can't say it in Tagalog, really breaks my heart! but i know it will improve. line upon line. precept upon precept. 

well hope you enjoyed these! thank you for all your support and prayers. until next time!

Sister Savanna Peavler

No comments:

Post a Comment